Welcome to my weekly microgreens update, where I talk about the latest information about my microgreens journey. I started playing with microgreens in March 2021 and found the process fascinating. Now, I am trying to experiment more with microgreens and see where it takes me.

Uknown problems and crops lost

Unfortunately, this week a couple of my crops died, and I have no clue what happened. Maybe there was too little water? Or maybe there was too much water! Maybe the quality of the seeds wasn’t great? I have to say that I have no idea.

Red cabbage microgreens dying on a 10x20 tray
Red cabbage microgreens dying.


I will keep experimenting with microgreens and find those seeds that work better for me and our home environment. It is a shame to lose a full crop and don’t know why, but at least it is a small amount, and I can keep trying until I find the right balance.

Reusing coconut coir

Last week, I started radish microgreens, and for the first time, I reused coconut coir as the medium to see if it would work. The used coconut coir was under the sunlight for several days until it fully dried. Then, I placed it on a tray and covered any missing spots with fresh coconut coir. I am curious to see if the radish will grow well or encounter any problems along the way.

10x20 tray with reused coconut coir for microgreens
10×20 tray with reused coconut coir


This week I had four different trays that were emptied and didn’t hold microgreens anymore. So, I put them all out in the sun and waited for the coconut coir to dry. I then used the leftover coconut coir to sow a new crop and see how reusing coconut coir works on my microgreens.

Four trays of microgreens rests under the sunlight
Microgreens trays under the sunlight


Microgreens I started

Last week, I started basil and radish microgreens, they are growing very well, and I am eager to see the final results!


Although the seeds are not evenly distributed on the tray, the basil seeds are looking very promising. This is the first time I am doing basil microgreens, so the whole process is very new to me. It is quite exciting to see a new seed become a little plant and see the process daily with close attention.

Basil seeds sprouting on coconut coir
Basil seeds sprouting



The radish microgreens are growing well, although I sowed a minimal amount of seeds (25g), and the tray looked empty. Nevertheless, now that the seedlings are growing, the tray is starting to look fuller and nicer.

Radish seeds sprouting on coconut coir on a 10x20 tray
Radish seeds sprouting


Microgreens that were already there

Two weeks ago, I sowed fenugreek and red cabbage microgreens, and the process failed for both of them.


Unfortunately, the fenugreek started failing after about 10 days from sowing. The seeds started rotting, and the leaves didn’t manage to come out of the seed shell. I thought the weight of the upper tray was trumping the seedlings, so I removed it, but it still didn’t work. I also tried exposing the seeds to light and air, and it made it worse. Eventually, they all fell and died.

Fenugreek microgreens weakening before dying on a 10x20 tray
Fenugreek microgreens


Red cabbage

Similar to the fenugreek microgreens’ outcome, the red cabbage microgreens didn’t develop well. Many seeds didn’t even open, and those who did were looking weak. After 10 days of sowing, they died, and I still don’t know what happened.

Red cabbage microgreens dying on coconut coir medium
Red cabbage microgreens


Next microgreens

The next batch will be twice broccoli. Because we have some plans coming ahead with the broccoli microgreens! Stay tuned for more updates about what’s coming.

Broccoli seeds on coconut coir on a 10x20 tray
Broccoli seeds on tray

Thank you for your time, and see you next week!