Welcome to the weekly oh nènè microgreens update, where we talk about the latest information on our microgreens journey. We started experimenting with microgreens in March 2021 and found the process fascinating. As we discover the wonderful world of microgreens, we feel inclined to share with you our progress.

Follow-up cilantro test

Two weeks ago, we started a batch of cilantro microgreens. We were hesitant that it was going to work, but in the end, it turned out to be great! We got a tiny yield for the number of coriander seeds we used, but since we’re just starting with growing cilantro, we know it will only get better with more tests and time.

In the end, with 25g of whole coriander seeds, we obtained 41g of harvested cilantro microgreens, which is not an excellent yield, and we agree. We are, however, thrilled with our first batch of cilantro microgreens, and we can say that the taste is overwhelmingly strong, which is positive.

41g of cilantro microgreens harvested on a scale
41g of cilantro microgreens
Cilantro microgreens harvested
Cilantro microgreens


Our meagre yield makes us re-think if we ever want to commercialise cilantro microgreens. Still, before jumping to any conclusions, we will try again with a bit more coriander seeds and see if we can improve based on our first experience. We will start this test next week.

Follow-up sunflower test on coarse mesh

Last week, we started a couple of tests with sunflower seeds. The idea was to keep the seeds as moist as possible throughout the germination process. We realised that too much humidity, opposite to what we expected, was damaging for the seeds. Indeed, we noticed that the tray with the coarse mesh had a better germination rate than the tray without a mesh. The amount of water staying close to the seeds on the tray without a mesh was counterproductive.

These were our experiments and their results:

  • One tray without medium, where the seeds rest on the growing tray. Yield: 0g. We couldn’t harvest anything.
  • One tray with a coarse mesh as a medium. Yield: 118g.
118g of sunflower microgreens on a scale
Results of the sunflower test with a coarse mesh


The results speak for themselves. We obtained some sunflower microgreens on the second test because the seeds were dryer than on the first test. We figured that we needed to keep the seeds moist during germination but not soaked when we saw these results. With that discovery, we decided to start a new test with only the coarse mesh as a medium and pay attention to not overwatering the seeds. We will know the results next week, but the tray already looks promising!

Sunflower microgreens on a coarse mesh
Sunflower microgreens on a coarse mesh
Sunflower microgreens
Sunflower microgreens


Thank you for your time, and until next week!